How to Apply

How to Apply


We will do everything we can to find a place at Healthy Start Academy for your student(s). We are a public school, open to all students who will attend Kindergarten through Grade 8.

Sometimes, we have more applicants than we have classroom space in certain grades. As a result, we encourage you to apply as early as possible.

To enroll your student at Healthy Start Academy, you must follow a state-mandated two-step process:

Fill out the Initial Enrollment Application, which lets us know you want to enroll your student(s). The State of North Carolina limits the information on this preliminary form to only basic contact information.
Provide proof that you are a resident of the State of North Carolina.


If we are able to enroll your student(s), we ask you to fill out a second form where you supply detailed information so we can request records from any previous school and initiate formal enrollment.
You will have to provide proof that your student(s) received the required disease immunizations (vaccinations).

You will fill out an Emergency Contact Form.

If your student(s) received Individualized Education Plan records from a previous school, please review the Exceptional Children section of this website for helpful information.

You will be asked to review the Parent/Student Handbook and attest that you have read, understood and agree to adhere to its guidelines and policies.


You may apply at any time during the year; however, our official enrollment period is from January 1 through March 31 each year.


At the end of March, we determine if there is a need for a Lottery in any grade. If we have enough space, your student is automatically enrolled, just as if you were enrolling in a district-run public school. We hold a lottery when we have more student applicants than available seats in a grade.


By law, you must show proof of North Carolina residency before we can process your Initial Enrollment Application. You may show residency in any North Carolina county.

Proof of Residency: What We Need

North Carolina requires that all student applications must come from parents or guardians who are currently legal residents of North Carolina.

As proof of residency, we are allowed to accept any of these documents:

  • A valid North Carolina driver’s license;
  • A valid North Carolina photo identification card;
  • Copy of your deed;
  • Copy of your most recent mortgage payment;
  • A utility bill dated within the past 30 days, including gas, water, electric, land line telephone, cable television, or satellite television;
  • A vehicle tax bill, dated within the last 12 months;
  • A property tax bill, dated within the last 12 months;
  • A bank or credit card statement dated within the last 60 days.

This residency policy does not apply to homeless students, as defined by the McKinney-Vento Act. Please call the Main Office at (919) 956-5599 for further information and assistance.

Immunizations: What We Need